Beyond Meat Chicken Salad with Tahini Dressing

Beyond Meat Grilled Chicken

I recently picked up a couple packages of Beyond Meat vegan “chicken” strips at Whole Foods. Even though I’ve been vegetarian for years, I’ve never tried Beyond Meat, but have heard great things. Since this is my vegan month, I thought it would be the time to give it a try!

At Whole Foods, a 12-oz package of Beyond Chicken was $3.99. Six strips are approximately 120 calories. They’re 100% non-GMO soy and pea-protein, vegan, gluten-free, and antibiotic-free.  Fun fact: Beyond Meat is backed by Bill Gates. Another fun fact: Food Network‘s Alton Brown wrote “it’s more like meat than anything I’ve ever seen that wasn’t meat.”

A salad seemed like the best way to taste Beyond Meat for the first time. Leafy greens, broccoli, “chicken” strips, and a homemade lemon tahini dressing. The dressing had a light creaminess to it and complemented the “chicken” very well. As much as I love tofu, tempeh, and beans, it was a nice change to top my salad with something different.

Beyond Meat Chicken Salad with Tahini Dressing

Beyond Meat’s “chicken” strips are similar in appearance, texture, and taste to Trader Joe’s chickenless strips. Beyond Meat seemed more stringy though. I’ll have to pick up the chickenless strips sometime to do a side by side comparison. I’m not sure if Beyond Meat will fool every meat eater, but as a vegetarian, I thoroughly enjoyed it! They were chewy, but tender. The stringy texture is like chicken breast. Be careful not to overcook it or it’ll get too tough.

There are three types of “chicken” strips available: southwestern style, grilled, and lightly seasoned. So far, I’ve only tasted the grilled strips. The flavor was subtle, but tasty with a kick of black pepper. I have a feeling the lightly seasoned strips might be too bland for my taste, so I will be sticking to the other two flavors. Beyond Chicken would be amazing in a vegan fettuccine alfredo. Or you can tear it up and serve it in tacos. Mmm, yummy!

The verdict? I will definitely be buying Beyond Meat again. Many meat alternatives can be mushy or rubbery, but this was not like that at all. I’m also looking forward to trying the Beyond Beef products and the Beast Burgers too!

You Might Also Like

No Comments

peeledwellness
    April 10, 2015 at 10:55 am

I’ve never heard of these before. An alton brown review goes a long way in my book! Thanks for sharing.
    xoxo K

wazwu
      April 13, 2015 at 8:58 am

Thanks for stopping by! I was surprised and very pleased to stumble across that Alton Brown article. :)

annie lee
    April 10, 2015 at 1:24 pm

omg i want to try this!! we don’t have much of these vegan “meats” here in thailand. such a shame! omg. i can’t stop staring at those vegan strips :|

wazwu
      April 13, 2015 at 8:57 am

Looks like you’ll just have to make a trip out here! ;)

Delicious Peace of Mind
    April 11, 2015 at 1:52 pm

Yummy, filling looking salad. We don’t have so much faux meat here. Mostly seitan, tempeh and various kinds of soy/vegetable burgers. Maybe more people would go vegan if there was a larger variety of faux meats, since people here reeeeally love meat :-/

wazwu
      April 13, 2015 at 8:52 am

That’s unfortunate. Yah, I’m sure it would help convince a lot of people to give it a try… even if it’s just for a few days a week!

Delicious Peace of Mind
        April 14, 2015 at 7:03 am

Hopefully, as the time passes, things will change. Just some of the unorthodox, alternative things take longer way around till they reach us :D

wazwu
          April 14, 2015 at 10:18 am

Slowly, but surely!

Mrs C
    April 13, 2015 at 1:01 am

Succulent! I feel healthy just by reading the post, really! If only Dubai is a mile ahead when it comes to healthy eating, vegetarian options and vegan-friendly. I love Whole Food.. can’t say it enough. Love the packed lunch from the huge variety of good, fresh food. Just wish they have more seats ;)

wazwu
      April 13, 2015 at 8:54 am

Hopefully I can encourage more vegetarian meals through my blog posts. ;) I really need to visit Whole Foods more regularly. It used to be much more expensive, but they seem to have adjusted their pricing quite a bit. Also, I’m sure it helps that I am no longer on a college student budget. :P

Mrs C
        April 13, 2015 at 11:58 am

Maybe because I visit Whole Food twice a year on my visits to the US therefore I don’t really feel the weight of the price tag but Dubai is not exactly cheap. I honestly think that had the city be more vegetarian friendly, it is easier to commit

wazwu
          April 13, 2015 at 12:52 pm

I think I visited Whole Foods once years ago and got scared by the pricing, but never bothered to try again until recently! ;) Hopefully Dubai starts to become more vegetarian friendly in the near future. I imagine that’s the direction most major cities are moving toward!

Mitzie Mee
    April 13, 2015 at 5:28 am

At least it looks like chicken:) Tahini dressings are very popular in Dubai and it’s also in my favorite falafel dipping sauce:)

wazwu
      April 13, 2015 at 8:57 am

Ooh, for some reason, it never occurred to me to use tahini dressing as a dip for falafel! It makes so much sense though. :D